Notes from Puzzle Palace

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 0




Yesterday was one of relaxation. Well, sort of. NOT! How can it? this is IPP and it's supposed to be exciting.

The morning started out with breakfast at 9:30 with Dave and Tom. Klara joined us for a bit, and after finishing we went off in search of some sights that hadn't been seen in many many years. I wanted to show the bug Check Point Charlie and the museum there and all thought it would be a great idea to spend the day walking around together.

The museum was eclectic. A mix of everything, and a bit odd for my taste truth be told. Bug got spooked a few times, so we didn't stay all that long. Next stop? Alexander Platz. Both Dave and I had been here in our wild young days (don't listen to him when he says he dull and boring :) )

The radio tower is still tall, and that is all one can say about that. We had lunch in the square, then took a walk around the area for a bit. After filling our tums, we headed out in search of toys!
We found a little shop after much running around, and had a peak inside. Dave pointed the puzzle corner out to us, and I dove right in and grabbed a packing puzzle. Asparagus! Unbelievable. I've been hunting for years and found it in Berlin. Happy girl! Klara got a violin, and I picked up a few other toys. Not much of a haul, but great company. Next stop, back to the hotel to drop off some things, and then Tom, David, bug, Matt and I decided to head over to Brandenburg gate. Again, Dave and I saw it before but I wanted the bug to see it and they humored me.

Dave remembered a giant gold ball in the middle of the city which later turned out to be a statue so we headed out in search of that as well. As it turns out, it was right down the road from us. Well, not exactly- a few miles I would guess. Ah well, we're all fit.

Sight seeing done. On to founders reception. interesting. High tables, no chairs. finger sandwiches. Ok, I've seen that on tv. Been there, done that, did not buy the t-shirt (boo for the bad lines) and do not like it. But then who comes for the food. It's the company that is worth while. And company there was. 2 hours of standing around talking, and playing with toys. Tom pulled out his as did Frank and the next thing we knew, there was a table full of twisty puzzles.

Bug was thrilled by the magic of Mark, and Laurie told her she had more instore for her this evening. She's happy.

One of the highlights of the evening was meeting Christoph Bandelow. Greetings were sent all around, and I know Dave was very pleased.

After a few of us went to have some food. A bit of talking in the lobby, and I hit the bar with the big boys. Poor little bug had a nightmare and needed mama, so at 1 I had to call it a night.

Today is the exchange and I really need to get some food in my tum! More photos later.

No comments:

Post a Comment