Notes from Puzzle Palace

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Spiderman twisted puzzle

Today's puzzle is all about twisting and sliding.  This puzzle was first made in 1997 by Dov Nesis and laer copyrighted by Marvel comics in 2002.  This one was released along with the movie of the same name.
 It's a great idea but rather poorly executed.  Spidey is hooked to his web and the object is to tangle it all up by sliding the tiles around and then of course to untangle him.  I got this puzzle back in 2002 and as you can see by the photos it hasn't fared well.  The rubber that his web is made of is nothing more than substandard.  If I remember right, he didn't last a year before the web started to deteriorate.  Within a couple more years he lost 3 of the 4 connections and when I pulled him out of the box to get puzzles for the exhibition I saw that he's beyond repair.  The rubber is of a type that it has all but dried out over the years.  It is now almost brittle.  It's a shame this happened because it is a great little puzzle and a fantastic idea.  It would be nice to see a company make another along these lines with better material.

If anyone has one of these that has survived the past 10 years in better shape, I'd love to see photos of it.  I don't think I have any of this one prior to its decline.

No comments:

Post a Comment