Sunday, June 8, 2014

Burnt meat and splinters

Next puzzle party:  Allard Walker’s.   I wrote earlier that Allard had contacted me early on and  invited me to stay with him.  Around a month ago, he sent out an email to the people of MPP to invite them to a BBQ.  The occasion?  My being in  England!  Now how’s that for making a girl feel welcome? 

Allard arrived to pick me up at the campus at 9 as prearranged.  Now Rox was supposed to be waiting in the lobby for him.  No such luck.  Dumb girl slept through the alarm and 3 phone calls.  In my defense though, I was pulled off the roof of the building by the campus police  only 2 hours earlier-did you know you can see stars in the Midlands?

When I finally answered the door, Allard was a gent.  He laughed at my story and gave me 5 minutes to pack up and meet him.  Dumb bum forgot her travel adapters and had to buy more.  Not a big deal in the greater scheme of things. We headed back to Allards and had just enough time  to dump my bag before the guests started to arrive.

I’m a bad bad girl and can’t remember all names. I do remember the faces and the laughs though.  I loved every minute of the day.  First in was Chris, and then came Oli, Russell, Steve, Nigel, Ali, and uhoh….I forgot. Sorry love-your beard was great though.  I’m crap at this.

We started puzzling and playing and chatting.  Allard set up the grill and got his burn on.  I loved it!  Well, no, he didn’t burn anything really.  But the tease was worth it.  Steaks, sausage, lamb…Gill made some potatoes and a salad so there was some green with all that protein. 

As always, you don’t want the food so on to the puzzles.

I saw a purple Revomaze, the Mercury, and a few other metal ones.  A bunch of wooden boxes came out and we got full into puzzling.  I brought down the Berrocal’s I had with me and took them apart for people to play with. 

Somewhere along the way I picked up a splinter from Allard's deck.  Happily it has now worked its way out so I can walk easily again.

We carried on puzzling until around 6 and a few people drifted off.  Gillkindly heated up the left over meat and we had a nice bite to eat before puzzling somemore.  The last people left around 10 and I was a terrible guest. I said I was tired and wanted sleep. 

The next morning Allard took the day off to drive me back to the airport.  Before we left though, there was a lot of puzzling to be done.  We carried on until 11 and then we had to take off.  I think I managed to open another 3 or 4 puzzle boxes. Allard very kindly opened the Stickman Chess set so I could have a look at the mechanism.  I managed to not break any puzzles and this time I left none unsolved. 


Like the last time, it was a wonderful visit.















1 comment:

  1. The 3d Printing manufacturer technique system is growing quick in world day by day however we want higher printers to serve our customers with affordable price. We have a tendency to welcome each the Spark platform and the new printer from your website. We’ve already seen many of us, businesses and faculties World Health Organization have had poor experiences with printers and producing. This is often unfortunate for our trade. A reliable and well created printer that has affordable operating prices and smart support is required. Our business is made on providing quality 3d prints at affordable worth points and that we still search for printers that meet our operational and quality print needs. Click here Best 3D printer manufacturer company in China.

    ReplyDelete