Notes from Puzzle Palace

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

2 weeks at sea.

We are now on our way out of the States for good.  We said our final goodbyes to friends and family and have nothing but dreams of the future.  Our youngest daughter spent her final weekend with us as the day before was easter.  What a disaster that was. We opted for rabbit, but the one I bought was too tough.  Even an overnight marinade didn’t help.  I’ll never buy it from that shop again. ;) 

On Monday morning we awoke way too early.  I helped bug pack up the last of the food and wine into her car.  We put our luggage in the garage for pick up and put the bedding in the trunk of the Tesla.  Who knows, we may decide to camp out on our next road trip.  We kept the car for a number of reasons, but chief among them is our eminent return every 3 years for IPP and the need of a vehicle.  Why not go with one we know.  The keys had been handed over to friends, and since the big house hasn’t sold yet, we left it plugged in and charging.  The day the house sells, they will pick up the car and store it in their garage for us waiting for our eminent return sometime next summer.


After all was cleaned and put away, our friend Scott came over and picked us up.  We had a chauffeur to the pier this time.  That was great because we had a lot of luggage and his truck bed took it all and then some.  I was very glad we were with him as it was pouring down rain and I would have been going crazy in an uber. (Only later when we were at sea did we learn that there was 26 inches of rain in less than 20 hours in the Fort Lauderdale area.  It closed the airport for five days!) 


When we arrived, we dropped our bags and gave our final hugs good-bye.  We know it is not a permanent farewell as he and his family will be coming to visit us in Italy in the fall.  Darned if I didn’t leave my glasses in the back seat though and I’ve been having to use cheaters ever since.  He handed them over to Katherine who will be mailing them to me soon.  Immigration was a breeze and we were on the ship in no time at all.  Our cabin was in the process of being cleaned, so we headed up to the Lido deck for some lunch and a sail away glass of something alcoholic.  


And thus began six sea days.  I wish I could tell you that we did interesting things, but honestly, we didn’t.  I went to a cooking demonstration only to find it standing room only so I left.  We spend our days like this: get up around ten.  Watch the news, curse at the absurdly slow interned-DO NOT buy the premium package, you’ll just throw away your money-George would play a game of sudoko while I would assemble some Nanoblocks.  We’d have lunch followed by a nap and a movie and more sudoko and Nanoblocks.  Dinner was always followed by a movie and the whole thing starts all over again.  

On day seven we finally hit land.  Our stop was in the Azores at an island we haven’t been to before: Praia di Vitoria, Terceira.  Since the excursions were all fully booked, and we had a mission, we spent the day wandering around the town.  First stop: A photo shop to get photos taken for our Italian paperwork.  After this, we met a couple from the ship and had a cup of cappuccino while enjoying the sunshine.  


We then got our billygoats on and climbed a rather tall hill to see a statue of Mary.  George thought it was Columbus and when he saw it from the ship he knew he wanted to climb it.  It was a bit scary for me, and at one point I was going up on my hands and knees. And of course my lover had to take a video of it.  On the way down, I butt bumped that segment.  The view was spectacular and well worth the climb.  









Upon our descent we returned to the ship for a long overdue nap and more of the same.  The next morning we were in Ponto Delgado.  We have been her twice before, but took an excursion anyway. It hit every part of the island I think.  We went to see Furnas and had a meal cooked in the ground. 







We also wandered around some botanical gardens and ended the morning with a swim in the hot springs.  They are very rusty and not only did the white lining of my swim suit turn red, but George’s beard did also.  I wish I had an eye patch for him.  It would have been great fun at dinner.  











After the swim we had the lunch that was cooked in the furnas.  Cold leak and potato soup, blood sausage, taro, and sweet potato were just a few of the foods on that dish.  All rounded off with fresh green house pineapple. 




Then went to a tea plantation where I videoed the machines and just generally wandered around.  Our tour guide while good, simply talked too much. I needed to get away. 







George of course took his siesta on the bus.
We returned to the ship for a much needed shower and an early dinner.  The hope was that we would sleep through the night.  No such luck.  We both have ship lag.  This is a first and I’m sure when we get to Italy and are running around that it will end quickly.  


Friday was a day in Málaga.  Since we have friends here, we will forgo any tours and instead spend it with them.  It’s been a couple of years since we met them and want to just enjoy a leisurely time with them. 


We started out the day with a good long lie in.  We’ve been to Málaga and didn’t feel like wandering around again.  We took a long walk to a restaurant on the beach.





Along the way we had to stop and look at the giant Rubik’s cube.  To say I was disappointed is an understatement.  

We later joined Carlos and Christina Berrocal for a nice lunch.  We even got to meet the mini Berrocal’s this time.  I’m putting photos of the food on here for Bill because I know he likes those. The cold soup was made of crushed allmonds, bread, and vinegar.  


We talked a long time about the castle and our move to Italy.  Then we got down to business discussing my favorite puzzles and what is happening with them.  Christina promised to introduce me to some of her friends in Italy. I’m particularly interested in meeting Franco Rocco and hope this will happen one day. 

While the adults talked, the mini Berrocals had a good time collecting shells on the beach and feeding the bread to the fish. It was enjoyable watching them have so much fun.  It’s been a while since we’ve been around young children.  Carlos’ daughter even managed to assemble George’s wedding band!

As our ship left around 5 pm, we took our leave and rode a bus back to the ship.  The busses in Spain now have the tap pay system so this was nice. We stopped at an Ale Hop and found a few puzzles we don’t have and one for our friend Oskar’s Knock off collection. 


On Saturday we were in Cartagena, again, we have been here before so we opted instead to see our friend Nigel for a drink and a chat.  We were told there is a marathon in town that day so we headed to a pedestrian street away from the tourists and the race.  Again, we just had a wonderful time sitting and chatting.  Nigel very kindly gave me a set of the lenticular post cards of the Berrocal Alamidas. These of course will be framed and hung with the other Berrocal prints.  





I guess we must have spent around 2 1/2 hours chatting away, but Nigel had to get back home for a family lunch, and we were only in the port until 3 so we decided to head back to the ship.  On our walk back, we stopped at a park and saw a beautiful statue dedicated to the victims of terrorism, a whales tale, and a submarine base. 








All in all, it was a good day.


Sunday was our final sea day.  I got up and packed first thing, then spent the afternoon finishing this blog and putting together a few more LEGOs. I thought I was done with all I brought along, but found 6 more sets!  Yippee!  I also spent a good deal of time cataloguing my Lego and Nanoblock sets.  I’m surprised at how many I’ve purchased in such a short period of time. Now to put them all together.


Once more, we have had an enjoyable and fun ride across the ocean.  It was just what I needed to help me relax after all the stress of getting bug moved into her home, selling the museum, closing up Puzzle Palace and packing, crating, and shipping all of our possessions to Italy.  


I am posting this from Castello di Panicale.  We have finally made it home and now the real adventure begins.  Next post:  The name we have chosen.  We found a winner!



       

1 comment: