Notes from Puzzle Palace

Friday, January 26, 2024

Another Road trip

We have always wanted to go to the Nuremberg Toys Fair.  This year we are here and have decided it is time. I first heard of this fair way back in 1995 when I attended my first fair in Hong Kong.  After befriending Uwe, I decided I had to go.  For many years we said we would go together, but sadly circumstances did not allow for that to happen.  My only regret is not being able to be here with my dear friend this next week.  

But enough being maudlin.  Or maybe that is just the start of it. George and I decided that as long as we are going, we should make a good road trip out of it.  We left home Tuesday the 23rd of January and drove as far as Lake Como.  Here we stayed for one night because I just don't like driving in the dark anymore.  Add to that the insane hotel prices in Switzerland, and we broke the drive early.  As always, we had our roadside picnic.  And yes, Chuck, the sippy cup travels with us.  FYI: mine is pink but I only use it for wine at night.  Never drink while driving. 

When we awoke in the morning, we packed the car to take off.  Surprise!  The windows were frosted over.


 We turned on the car and ran the front defroster thing for a bit, but not before I could snap a photo of the outside temperature!  -1°!
That is bloody cold!

From here, we took the Gotthard tunnel through the mountains on our way to Baden-Baden.  Now here is where I become sad again.  I came of age in Germany and spent a lot of time in Italy in the 80's.  I remember driving through the same area and having snow all the way down past Florence.  I remember spending a few Christmas' in Rome and the magic of the Christmas night snowfalls.  This year, I was well into Switzerland before I saw snow.  



Don't tell me there is no such thing as global warming.  This lack of snow leads to a lack of water which leads to a poor showing of the crops, which leads to less wine!  I know, I know...this is the domino theory I spent years telling my students to avoid, but it is real I tell you.  And god knows we need wine. 

And fewer politicians!

But seriously, the lack of snow on the mountains in January is disturbing.  I've been waiting for the winter snowfall in Panicale and was told if we don't have it by now, it won't happen.  The world is changing and I don't think it is for the better.  And here we are driving a gas guzzling vehicle.  At least it is a Euro 6.  Not that that helps much I suppose.  

Ok.  Enough of that. Back to the tunnel.  It is almost 17 km long.  Talk about an engineering feat!  This is such a joy to drive through.  Usually we take the San Bernadino Tunnel which is only 7 km long.  It is a detour of an hour to get to Baden-Baden though so I was thrilled to take the route we did.  Today's picnic was a freezing one. 

I'm starting to think maybe we wait until spring for picnics along the way. (Note the new sippy cup Chuck. He needs a different one for wine and beer. He said the flavors were corrupted.)

Our next stop was Baden-Baden.  We love going to the Friedrichsbad Spa there and it sure makes for a great stop along the way.  


Obviously I can't take photos inside the spa, but I can attempt to describe it some. The first rooms are dry saunas. The first was 50° and the second was 55°.  What a difference 5° makes.  The next two rooms are whet saunas.  I don't remember the temperature, but the rooms get progressively warmer until you enter the cold bath at the end.  These are followed by a luke warm pool, then a very shallow hot water bath filled with bubbles-these feel amazing on tired sore calves and feet after driving-and finally a hot pool to relax in.  Sadly, today I think they forgot to pay the electric bill because the three hot baths at the end were tepid at the very best.  To finish off this time, we skipped the cold water plunge having just been through three of them in a row and we went back to the hottest dry sauna insterad.  George and I have been three times now and have just decided it will be a normal stop on our trips to the northern part of Europe.  After spending two hours in the baths, we returned to the hotel (Hotel Quellenhof for those that are interested-a real hidden gem in the city), we had a bit to eat and while watching Succession (HBO movie) I fell into a deep relaxed sleep.  Best nights sleep in weeks.  And that folks is why we really go.

The next morning we took off for Brussels where we met with Alfons Eyckmans.  Here his wife provided us with a local speciality of cheese pie.  It was amazing!  Alfons has promised to send me the recipe for it.  We purchased a few puzzles,





got to visit his workshop,



and had some great conversation.  It was a real pleasure to stop by and see him.  Next trip up, we shall do it again.  

On to the next part of our trip.  Visiting with friends before the toy fair. Until next time, buon fine settimana e buon puzzle a tutti.


 

1 comment:

  1. Safe travels! We can't wait to see you in a few months time. We are in Chile.. On our way to peru! Love Sheila and jack! Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete