Notes from Puzzle Palace

Monday, November 14, 2011

What? Another post so soon?

Well yes, of course. I'm bored. So what should one do when bored? Why not play? I read this book once. It was recommended by Mr. Tangle (Richard X. Zawitz of Tangle Toys) Anyway, it was called...what else...Play. (You can find it on Amazon among other places) Well, what was so great about this book is that it talked about the value of play to stimulate the brain and cause the creative juices to flow. Well I just love that book an use my play time as an excuse to become creative! Yep. That works for me and I'm not changing my mind. It's interesting, according to this author, animals play naturally. Children play. It is only adults that seem to devalue the value of real play. So us puzzlers? I think we are the lucky ones. Our hobbies allow us to play. Now if I could work out a way to make a living off this...

So why play now? Well, my class is taking an exam. I have to sit here and watch them to make sure they aren't cheating and all that, and this little 4 ducklings puzzle is perfect. It fits in my pocket and I can pull it out and play at will.


See, small puzzle. Easy right?

Wrong. This one I have changed the name on. It's no longer 4 little ducklings but 4 toilets. I have come to hate this puzzle! I really have. It has been in my bag since I got back from IPP and I have yet to solve it. Ok, I can get the 4 ducks in the top bit. But the bottom? Nope. Only 3 ducks fit. Like with the bears, I'm ready to cut off their little feet (and make someething tasty??) Those things definitely fit into the 'frustrations' part of this blog.

I downloaded burrtools the other day and am attempting to learn to use it. Perhaps I should attempt to put those 4 toilets into the program and see what happens...

Right. So enough feeling sorry for myself, I noticed something today. I have a number of puzzles sitting in the windowsill at work and aside from the discolored stickers, I noticed a funny with a wooden puzzle I have. It must be all that lovely Hong Kong sun, but this one has had something happen to the wood so that it now solves itself. I've never seen this before...

That gapping in there is huge! Ok, shadowy phone photos don't do it justice, but you get the picture. (oh no, another bad pun) So can that puzzle be unshrunk? Maybe I'll dunk it in water for a while. If it soaks up enough it might just work...but then I'll have a wet puzzle that will need drying out and it will have to go right back into the windowsill...

If you give a girl a puzzle.....she'll have to play with it.....and if she plays with it she'll have to ask for......(go read the books! :) )

6 comments:

  1. Hint: Burr Tools cannot solve the 4 ducklings puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hint2: The six notches on the left and right sides of the lower lake are red herrings. Just assume the lake is a square, you don't need to use those notches at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for saving me the burr tools time. I obviously don't know enough about that program yet to know what to do....I read on Allard's blog that he uses it to solve puzzles. My luck the bloody toilets won't be doable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, it was more of a hint than trying to save you time. Why do you think BurrTools cannot solve it? It certainly could solve it if the pieces were packed as you might expect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm not knowing how to use BurrTools yet. I can't answer you. I'm still having fun with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BurrTools cannot solve a cube puzzle if the pieces must be rotated by an an angle not a multiple of 90 degrees ...

    ReplyDelete