Notes from Puzzle Palace

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Iso Crate

Today's puzzle is one designed by Robert Rose. It was sold to me by PuzzleMaster.ca at IPP32 in my mass buying spree to rid myself of the left over Canadian dollars I had from my conference in Ottawa the month before.


This puzzle is made of anodized aluminum and consists of eight pieces. Each piece has three magnets embedded in it. The object if it is to take the pieces apart and return it to the original cubic shape.

This puzzle came in the PuzzleMaster packaging,but I have a feeling it was manufactured originally for Bits and pieces. The puzzle itself is quite fun but the construction leaves a lot to be desired.

This puzzle comes packaged with a clear cube inside the crate to help it keep its shape during shipping. When I pulled the puzzle out of the box, it just sort of fell apart on me. Maybe it was put together wrong or maybe it was a couple of weak magnets, I'm not sure. Either way there was no cheating with this puzzle. I had to sort it out to solve it.  I would have to guess it took me around 20 minutes of faffing about with this and other things.

Unlike some magnetic puzzles, this one doesn't have that 'strong push/pull' to it. That would have made the puzzle real fun. Nothing like flying pieces!  It does snap together rather nicely when you get the magnets lined up, but the repelling force could be stronger.  Another drawback of this puzzle is just cosmetic, but the magnets aren't seated properly in some places so they are jutted out in places.  There isn't the tight fit I wish it had.  Maybe one day if it sits on my shelf long enough and bothers me long enough, I'll dig the magnets out and reglue them.  The finish when it came in was scratched in places, and you can see the glue overspill in others.  A nice puzzle that could have used a bit of quality control.

One corner has a groove taken out of it that can be used to stand the puzzle on its edge.  Surprisingly, it does balance that way.  Overall, it's a fun little puzzle.  I'm not thrilled by it, but I'm not disappointed either.  You can find it at Puzzle Master for around CAD23.  Not a bad price for a bit of fun.

3 comments:

  1. I threw my copy away, the magnets were all fractured and hundreds of tiny splinters of magnets were scattered across the remaining broken magnets. One magnet fell out it was damaged so much. Another potentially good puzzle ruined by cheap magnets (sintered). Also two of the magnets were glued in place crookedly so that the mating parts would not align correctly. I won't be buying another copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told when I got this one it wasn't good quality. But I had that cash to get rid f and it was the better of some of what he had, I was hoping for a revo maze, but he didn't have any this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real shame! The gold anodised aluminium pieces are good quality. However the main functioning part of the puzzle is the magnets and these are too weak, the wrong sort of magnets for contatct environment (splintering) and they are poorly fitted. The result is a puzzle you can't enjoy.

      Delete