Notes from Puzzle Palace

Monday, August 17, 2020

Rebus Puzzles

This past month I have found a few puzzle plates that caught my fancy.  I bought one set made in Japan and another made in France.  

I've attempted to do some research into these plates, but other than learning that they were popular in the late 1800's, early 1900's predominantly in France, I've come up short.  I do know they were used as dessert plates and can only imagine the fun had as diners tried to decipher the rebus on each plate.  One can only imagine that it was a contest to see who could finish first.  

I first saw plates like these at James Dalgety's home in England.  They looked interesting to me, but at the time I was living in Hong Kong and had no room for this type of item.  According to his page, the set I have from Gien was produced around 1970.  A nice little bringing back of history.  The set from Japan seems to be made around the 1960's.  Each of the plates measure 7 1/2 inches.



While these plates are a fun solve, even more accessible to most people are the Narragansett Beer coasters. This Rhode Island brewery has been in business since 1890.  They even have an online shop that sells these little gems, but be warned, they sell out quickly.   Most are easy to solve within a few minutes, unless of course you've had one too many.  


The final set of Rebus puzzles I have is from Falstaff Beer in Oklahoma. This set is printed on the inside of the bottle caps. I was lucky enough to get an unused set.  Thank goodness for eBay because I couldn't drink that much beer if I tried. Sadly, the company went out of business in 1997 so there will be no more of these on offer. 




How many of these rebuses can you solve?

No comments:

Post a Comment