Notes from Puzzle Palace

Friday, June 14, 2024

Day 3 Worms to Mannheim

Once again we woke around 7:30 and went to breakfast to make our sandwiches for the day.  This actually pleases George because he is so used to having the same thing again and again.  On this trip he gets good German bread (he really likes the rye bread) with ham and cheese.  I made a trip to the grocery store this morning before he was awake as it was only 1/2 km from the pier.  My mission was to buy 0.0 beer for José, beer for George, oj, real milk (I can't stand the powdered stuff they have here and after getting a mouthful of spoiled milk, I'm leery now), bananas, mayo and mustard for sandwiches.  He is a creature of habit as are we all.  So today's sandwiches were closer to what I give him at home.  


Ugh...I'm going into a dull rendition of a food blogger.  I'll stop.  Sorry about that. 

After breakfast, I packed our lunches into the side bags and off we went.  As with eery day, we travel over the dykes and alongside some beautiful countryside.  Well....mostly.  This is a heavily industrial area and looks like one.   There are beautiful flowers along the way and many other things to see, but today the view is not quite as nice as some of the other trips we've been on.  Add to that the flooding and the left over mud and dust and you get the picture.

We had a small hiccup as usual.  Yesterday we took a ferry to cross the river.  George as usual fell down and hurt himself.   He landed on his already sore wrist and knee so he just exacerbated the problem.  Oh boy! There goes the rest of the trip! Well, as luck would have it, José had some Advil, I gave him 2 and put him to bed early so he could heal.  I fully expected him to cancel his ride today, but he was feeling spry and took to the bike a though nothing happened.  

We rode through a lot of previously flooded area, and other than a few birds and some cows (have I told you I have a thing for cows? Must be all those years on the farm.  They are the most gentile creatures.) There really was not much to see except for the flooding and the dirt on the trees where the river had been.  Of course Oskar had to go check out the high water mark.

This area is filled with industry.  It is rather dull looking as you can see.  The metal recycling plant was interesting to me.  I've heard of these places, but have never seen one.  






At one point we saw a stork and some geese.  I was wondering if the geese would attack, but the stork was a bit of a bully and walked right between the two and they very quickly shifted to the side. 

Here we had a bit of a break for coffee and cookies. 

I did enjoy the stickers on the machines and poles, some of them really tickled me.  



That night in the restaurant it was asian night and we had an Indonesian buffet.  Not bad considering the location.  They even had Sambal so I was happy.  I will also admit to eating one too many shrimp chips but since I haven’t seen them in Italy, it was a treat for me.  (One more thing to add to my shopping list on the way home.)

Tomorrow we head to Heidelberg for yet another adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment