Notes from Puzzle Palace

Sunday, June 30, 2024

Returning to Florida

 On the 23rd of June George and I left the castle in the good hands of the Cerboni family and headed out to Rome.  We spent the night at the Airport Mercure.  Thank goodness it was only one night.  It was loud!

The next morning, we drove over to the airport to drop off the car for long-term parking (we will have 8 suitcases on our way back so I'm not schlepping those on the train).  The night before I lost sleep over how I was to achieve this hand over of the car, but as it turns out, it is super easy. They have a valet parking area just for these drop offs!  They even had luggage carts waiting for us when we arrived.  Problem solved.

We headed in to the airport and checked in very quickly.  No lines at 7:30 in the morning.  Next up immigration.  Thanks to George being a bit older, this too was rapid.  Less than 5 minutes and we were on our way to the lounge.  We stayed long enough for me to have a bowl of bean soup and George an OJ and banana.  Interesting breakfast no?  You see, we've been juicing since we got back from our bike trip. The ill ness we picked up was so bad, we decided we needed to clean our systems to get back to normal. No solid food for us since the 15th. Bean soup and a banana were cheating a bit I guess, but it was the closest we could do.

Our first flight was to Paris.  Uneventful is an understatement.  They didn't even offer champaign as we sat down.  There was a nice lunch served, but due to allergies, I only had a bite or two of cheese.  No one does vegetable juices on flights.  

We landed, cleared immigration and headed to the lounge.  Here we sat for about 30 minutes when dummy here realized that the 2:05 flight time was the time the plane was LEAVING the runway.  We ran to the boarding gate and got there 10 minutes before it closed!  Thank goodness I got my act together.  In fairness though, our recent travels have all been on a ship.  

We got on board and of course they came around with champaign.  I had that and George was good and went with OJ. We settled in he with a movie, and me with my Patente studies. I managed to get through 1/2 of the first chapter.  So many more pages to go.... After an hour or so, my brain hurt so I opted for a movie.  Of course they brought around lunch, but we both said no to all but a salad.  (Travel is so dull isn't it!)

Ok. ok.  I get it.  Move on.  I don't know how many hours later, we arrived in Miami.  Kat was there at the airport waiting on us and we all piled into the Tesla for the drive to her house.  

For the first time in my adult life, I left the airport and DROVE.  This juicing and not drinking allowed me to be completely sober.  I had no fear of driving.  Such a strange thing to have happen.

We got to her house and immediately fell asleep.  Bad move!  That meant I was up at 3 am.  And what do I do when that happens?  Clean!  And that is all I have to report on for the next 4 days really.  

On Tuesday I cleaned her kitchen, I threw out stuff, and I made lentil chips.  You see, when we moved her into her apartment, we had dishes and kitchen appliances for her.  Later when we sold the museum, the kitchen wares were of higher quality so we gave her those.  She simply moved the old stuff to the back of the cupboard.  Then when we moved to Italy, we gave her the kitchen ware from the big house as I couldn't use 110 volt appliances in Italy.  Again the quality was better so she moved the old stuff to the back of her cupboards.  If you are counting, you now realize that she can kit out 3 kitchens!  This was a disaster.  Mom to the rescue.  We got rid of the lower end items and kept the better stuff (that still worked-she burned out a few motors but didn't realize she should throw them away).

Wednesday was nothing short of a miracle.  We went to two banks, sorted out checks, credit cards, and wire transfer services.  Then we went to the club to get a refund check on our initial equity.  After that we visited with Karen and Sarah for an hour before heading over to DMV where we only waited 1 1/2 hours to get our drivers licenses changed over!  Back to Kat's to make some more juice and to clean up a bit more before heading to the coolest hotel we have found yet in our travels.  

We are staying at the Chateau Mar in Lauderhill.  In its hay-day, I'm sure it was a real hopping place.  The room is massive, the lobby is simply amazing.  I just love it. The decorations are very retro.  




When you walk into the lobby, there are two console  televisions playing, one shows I love Lucy, and the other is the Honeymooners.  

You see, back in the 70's Inverarry Country Club was built and a few years later Jackie Gleason moved in and started the Jackie Gleason Inverarry Classic PGA tournament.  When he died in 1987, sadly so too did the tournament.  It was later renamed the Honda Classic.  And in 2020, completely closed down. I just read that FDOT purchased 60 of the 300 acres to build roads on. What a waste. No wonder it is getting hotter in South Florida.  Too much concrete and asphalt. 

The room we have is larger than Kat's apartment with a balcony that overlooks the greens.  There is a tiny frigidaire and an old record player that still works!  So retro.  The lobby houses not only those tv's, but a piano frequently played by old blue eyes, and a pool table belonging to Gleason.  The photos around show many of the celebrities and past presidents that stayed here. They even have Gleason's car parked out front! It's a real hidden gem.  I think next time we come we will camp out here again.  



On Thursday George and Kat went back to DMV to transfer the title of the VW to her so she can sell it.   Sadly, they said no walk-ins so back they went to the hotel.  I was out shopping and running more errands.  Cashing that check we got yesterday, getting apostillated marriage licenses....the usual things. When I finished, I went back to Kat's and tackled some more of her house.  

Friday I gave George the Tesla and he headed to his brothers in Miami while Kat and I finished her bedroom and living room.  Her home is almost finished.  I'd give it another day and I'll have it spic and span and fully organized, but sadly, I will only have about 4 hours on Saturday morning before we head out to Texas for the puzzle party of the year.  We headed up to the Farmer's Table to have dinner with our friends Stu and Donna.  Like us, they too are leaving Boca. The club is not what it was when we moved in.  It's time to pack it in.  I'm glad our house sold and that we are done with it. 

Saturday morning I woke at 3:30 (Jet-lag again) did the mini crossword, packed some stuff in the car an headed to Kat's around 7.  True to my word, I did some more cleaning and organizing.  I made breakfast for her for the first time in a long time and just got to be a mom again this past few days.  I truly loved spending time with my daughter.  Through all of our cleaning and shopping over the past few days she told me of all that is happening in her life.  I'm so very proud of that kid. I wish I could say I finished it all, but sadly, there was so much makeup to toss out that I simply couldn't finish.  The kid has the last bit to do on her own (which of course means I'll finish it next time I visit).  At 10 I left her to go pick up George so we could head out.

We finished packing the car and headed up to Jupiter to have lunch with Bill and Scarlet.  It was so nice to see them again. It's been almost a year.  If you see them at IPP, congratulate them.  No need to know why, Just trust me.    (Ding dong Bill!  Well done!)

On Thursday George got the upgrade on the Tesla and we now have full self driving!  I love it.  With one catch; It redirected us back to Yeehaw Junction  which is 1/2 hour south of where we charged in Canoe Creek. Then it had us do a u-turn and head back North again!  I was a bit miffed because of the jet lag.  We eventually made Lake city by 8:45 and by 9:30 I was out.  Our hotel for the night was called the Guest Inn.  Dodgy looking at best from the outside, but the bed was so comfortable and the water is super hot.  Not a bad place after all.  I would have slept through but my sister called and said something about my car being broken into and I needed to call the police.  When I looked out the window my car was fine so I went back to bed.  I'm pleased to write that I have now slept 8 hours through. I declare Jet-lag to be officially over.


1 comment:

  1. Have a great time! Just getting over a case of covid caught on board and arrived Rome today! Cruising has its perils. Missed you!

    ReplyDelete