Notes from Puzzle Palace

Thursday, July 1, 2021

Puzzle arrival day

Well, the day is finally here.  The last of our container shipment is to arrive in two batches.  Friday saw a total of 432 boxes.  They came in two shipments.  Both had more furniture in them.  This is good. We needed that to fill the garage.  What did I do?  I set to work unpacking.  All of the furniture had to be done first to make room for the next boxes.  

This time around we were smart. I stood at the truck and unloaded onto dollies.  My method was simple. We had three dollies, each took three boxes. I just made sure they had similar type puzzles in them and the unloading began. The nice young man didn't speak much English, but he was able to stack them where I wanted and he was strong.  So...Plastic to one side, wood to another, china in a third place, and all the metal was carried upstairs for us.  My life now will be nothing but unpacking for the next month or so.  I have a goal and I will achieve it.  I'm also not complaining in the least. This has been a great pleasure for me. I love opening boxes and discovering puzzles I didn't know existed before. 

The first is a puzzle that George spent a good hour on the stairs investigating. I will not post anything more than this teaser photo of him nerding out on it.  I have a feeling he will be writing a paper about it soon.  


As you probably know, before I discovered Berrocal's, I was a very twisted girl.  My initial puzzle collecting started with those.  When I began unboxing, I was grateful for James' labeling of the boxes.  We had the majority of the twisty puzzles in the kitchen and those were the first I opened.  As these hold an entire room in our house, we brought them all over to Puzzle Palace to be placed in the mirror room.  This lead to the culling of puzzles that were in there.  

Over the years, many twisty puzzlers, myself included, branched off into moving bead or sliding tile puzzles.  When this new batch of puzzles came in, we began to question our cataloging system.  Now the mirror room only holds puzzles that twist.  Yes, there The Missing Link is still in there as is the Orb-it.  Both twist in some fashion. But now the Brain, or Bolygok have been removed as there is no twisting involved.  I should have done this from the beginning, but now that the collection has expanded it's time.  

I've not completely filled the Mirror room yet, but thought I'd give you a few photos of what was unboxed this week.  As I'm sure you can imagine, the duplicates are quite a few.  These are just some of the puzzles found.  As it turned out, we had 4 more large moving boxes filled that are now at our main house waiting to be placed on shelves. 


















2 comments:

  1. It sure is. Even more interesting are the clock and the flower below the Jugo.

    ReplyDelete