Notes from Puzzle Palace

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Puzzle Advent Tree and more!

 It's that time again!  This year we have a total of 5 puzzle advent calendars in the house.  I'm not sure how that happened, but I'll not look a gift horse in the mouth-and in this case, it will be a lot of fun.

As with last year, I brought out the Puzzle Advent Tree© and filled it with gifts for both bug and George.  It's a little deformed this year because some of the gifts are oddly shaped in the boxes and had to be placed in strange areas.  Because of our upcoming round the world cruise, I didn't put the lights out on the tree this year-just the gifts.  I don't want to have to put it away when we return in summer.  Perhaps I'll just have the kid pre-fill it for me and we can have a Christmas in July.  

I also managed to get a Master Cube Store cubing advent calendar sent over from Denmark.  This was quite the ordeal, but as usual, I managed.

Next up is an advent calendar filled with puzzling toys.  I'm not sure what we will find each day as this one is mass-produced.  George has opened one of these at breakfast every year that we have lived in Boca and really seems to enjoy it.  I was surprised to find so many variations on Amazon this year.  

At the end of each day George and I will compete against each other on the New York Times Mini-crossword.  If you haven't done it, you should.  It shouldn't take too much time, and it's a fun way to end (or start) the day.  It usually shows up at 10 pm EST.  I of course usually win as I can type faster and let's face it, I'm just more verbose than he is.

We also were given a jigsaw a day advent calendar.  Each one is supposed to be less than 100 pieces.  We shall see how that goes. 

So this year, you will have lots of drooling to do.  The opening will come tomorrow morning and continue on through the 25th of December.

We had a lovely thanksgiving with a number of puzzle friends joining us.  This year our daughter decided to invite a puzzling couple for thanksgiving dinner over a drunken Boca Bash squid games honeycomb making attempt. No problem.  The more the merrier.  Our breakfast room table will hold 6 comfortably.  Fast forward a few weeks and another puzzler came for a weekend visit. George and I are so in tune with each other that without consultation, I invited him to join us for the holiday as I didn't want anyone alone.  And then we of course invited Tevin and Morgan as this has just turned into an impromptu puzzle party.  Next thing we knew, we had a table of 11 and I went hunting a bird a week before the holiday.  Now this might sound normal to you all, but remember, I came here from Hong Kong where turkeys were not a thing you could get at just any grocery store. There was a time when the bird had to be ordered a month in advance so just being able to walk in the store and pick up one for  the following week is nothing short of a miracle for me. Sadly, I didn't take any photographs that day, but suffice it to say all had a good time.

The G4G video is up and viewable now. Please go take a look.   And while I'm on G4G, give a thought to donating.  Because of covid, they have payments that need making, and funding that has not been met.  If you are in a good mood, and have watched any of the G4G online videos or joined any of the meetings, give a thought to giving a donation to keep it going each year. (No, I don't get a kickback, I've just recently realized how much work it takes to run an operation like this.)

On to museum news.  There is none :( I'm still waiting on glass table tops, I'm still waiting on workmen to install shelves, I'm still waiting on 'the kids' to move in, I'm still waiting on a shipment of puzzles, I'm still waiting on....you fill in the rest.  We have not gotten the last batch of shelves installed yet. We've been so busy with holidays and guests that nothing is really happening over there. Perhaps after our luggage has been picked up we will go get some work done. 

Until tomorrow.  Stay safe, wear a mask, and happy puzzling!


No comments:

Post a Comment