Notes from Puzzle Palace

Sunday, December 26, 2021

On the First Day of Christmas

 My true lovegave to me (and made sure this puzzle was included in the Hordern-Dalgety purchase)  a dragon by Rick Irby.


I first saw this puzzle at George's old boss' home in California.  He told me I could play with it, but I realized right away what type of puzzle it was and steered clear of it.  While I would have loved to have been able to take it apart, I know there is not enough time in the day for me to reassemble it.  The puzzle solves like Chinese rings.  

Currently it resides in the Dick Hess room at the Puzzle Palace Museum but will eventually make its way over to Puzzle Palace to sit with the rest of the puzzles on Irby Shrine.  

This puzzle is made of 3/8" chromed steel.  And that is all I can tell you about it. I don't know when it was made, how much it sold for, where it was originally purchased....Nothing.  This Rick Irby is an elusive fellow with no internet presence.  I've heard rumor that he lives in a cave in the Giant Redwood Forest.  At one point he wanted to blog, but didn't get very far.  It's the only thing I've found about him. 

This year rather than bore you with what I had previously posted, as each day progresses I will only post photos and a brief bit of information of each of the new puzzles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment